Soulful Dosha Co may earn a small commission for items displayed on this page. Please see our complete Affiliate Disclosure.
Springtime can be traumatic for people who suffer with seasonal allergies. The pollen count is high and your sinuses are inflamed. You’re constantly sneezing and your eyes feel like they’re on fire. I’ve thankfully never felt the brunt of seasonal allergies, but I have friends and family who dread this time of year.
Make sure you’re drinking plenty of fluids. This will help to thin out mucus and keep your sinuses hydrated. Drink water, herbal teas, and soups. Also try to avoid caffeine and alcohol, as both of these can dehydrate you which decreases the strength of your immune system.
If you’re looking for ways to boost your immune system and fight off springtime allergies, consider adding some of these herbal treatments to your routine.
- Echinacea is a well-known herb for boosting immunity and fighting off infections. Tinctures and teas are my favorite way to incorporate this herb. Pukka makes an excellent Elderberry & Echinacea herbal tea.
- Licorice root is another herb with antihistamine properties. It can also help to reduce inflammation and soothe the throat.
- Nettle is a particularly good herb for allergies because it has antihistamine properties. Nettle is also rich in vitamins (A & C), and minerals, including magnesium, calcium, and iron which are important for immune health. You should use nettle leaf, not the root.
- Ginger is another great herb for boosting immunity. It can reduce congestion and inflammation. It’s also effective in treating nausea, which is a common symptom of allergies. It’s best to use fresh ginger, as it has the most potent effects. Ginger can be made into a tea, eaten with food or taken as a supplement.
- Garlic is another immunity-boosting powerhouse. It is helpful for fighting off sinus infections as it is a natural antibiotic. Garlic can be eaten raw, cooked, or taken as a supplement.
- Turmeric is an anti-inflammatory herb that can help to relieve allergy symptoms. It’s also been shown to boost immunity and reduce histamine production. Turmeric can be taken as a supplement or as a component of food.
- Cayenne pepper is an herb that can be helpful in clearing the sinus passages and reducing inflammation.
- Cinnamon is an herb that’s often used to help with digestion and other stomach issues. Many people are unaware that cinnamon is a great herb for fighting off infections and boosting immunity. Cinnamon also has anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to reduce allergy symptoms.
Herbal teas are a excellent way to help reduce congestion and inflammation. Look for teas made with nettle, ginger, turmeric, or licorice root. You can also take these herbs in supplement form.
These are just a few of the many herbs that can help boost your immune system and fight off allergies. While there are many pharmaceutical options available for treating allergies, some people prefer to treat their symptoms with natural remedies.
Herbal treatments can be taken in a variety of forms, including teas, tinctures, capsules, and more. If you’re interested in trying an herbal treatment for your allergies, be sure to speak with a qualified herbalist or healthcare professional to ensure that it’s safe for you.
What are some of your favorite herbs for boosting immunity? Share in the comments below!